Filler Outfit

It was 21 degrees Celcius when I wore this outfit on Monday, and I was really tired. I just wanted to be as comfortable as possible. My shoes are Beverly Feldman and super comfortable despite being so tall. I wore them to set off the gold shimmer in the fabric. It's not clear in the sunlight, but in artificial light, the dress looks amazing.

This dress was possibly one of the first outfits I ever bought when I first moved to Hong Kong all these years ago. I found it at the late, lamented Beverly Centre in Tsim Sha Tsui, a rundown building that housed dozens of little shops run by independent designers and kids who just wanted to sell cool things. It was the original inspiration for Island Beverly in Causeway Bay.

But the more Beverly Centre became popular, the higher the rents got and most people moved out to Mong Kok or Rise Commercial Building. I wonder if there will be a renaissance.


This dress has an early 70s vibe to it, so I usually wear it with lots of blue eyeliner and hair parted low on the side. Now that I have Bettie Page hair, it's a little bit tougher to get an appropriate hairstyle. I really was too tired to do anything beyond an easy updo, but I think in the future, I'd do a kind of 1970s pageboy look to my fringe like so:

Taken from here

I'll put up a picture next time. The whole process involves using a hair rat and a combover.

Anyway, to return to Beverly Centre, I also got this faux-leather bag there. Both the dress and the bag were really cheap, under HKD200 each. My awkward pose is to show you the leopard print on my shoes. And for those who are wondering, the tattoo is based on a Tang Dynasty design. During that time, soldiers would have animals engraved or hammered onto their shields, hoping that they would be able to express the qualities of that animal during battle.

I liked that soldiers used the image of a tiger to represent not ferocity but honour in battle, so I took it as inspiration for a pair of tattoos.