Is it just me, or is this kind of a weird name for a restaurant? 坤記 sort of means...feminine/earth memory, doesn't it? Or does it mean something else that I don't know about?
Anyway, this place always has queues, so my friend and I decided to pop over quite early, at about six thirty. We still had to wait for about fifteen minutes for a table, during which time, my friend scolded me for being so high-strung because every time someone got up from a table, I would react.
The thing is, I'm so used to being the responsible person who takes clueless, lazy or passive people around that it's hard for me to relax and let someone else handle shit. It's weird, you know, I do want to be able to just let other people take care of business, but when it actually happens, I get really antsy.
Anyway, this place specializes in 煲仔, which is...what IS this in English? Pot rice? It's rice cooked in an earthenware pot with toppings like meat, vegetables, mushrooms, and so on. They also offer hotpot.
Man, look at the sad auntie waiting for a table. I feel you, auntie! In the end, we got to sit where those two dudes are on the left, just under the window.
This place gives you a bowl to wash the dishes and utensils in, which is good. You'll have to bring your own tissues and stuff like that. In fact, if you're traveling in Hong Kong, it's best to have a pack of tissues or wet wipes with you at all times, just in case.
坤記 lets you choose a standard dish and add on extra toppings like salty fish, egg, veggies, etc. If you are confident enough, you can actually customize a dish off-menu if you sweet-talk the auntie taking your order.
This is what 煲仔 looks like. My friend got beef and poached egg. The dish comes with a bowl of sauce which you pour into the rice and mix it up.
I got...is it called soy goose in English? Anyway, that and spare ribs and veggies. This is what my pot looked like pre-sauce.
My friend pouring the sauce in.
I think I was so excited that I couldn't focus properly.
Itadakimasu!