雅園餅店 Best Pineapple Bun on Hong Kong Island

Kowloon City has some of the best bakeries producing some of the most delectable pineapple buns. Because I ate them so much when I was living there, my pineapple buns standard is exceedingly high. I have to admit that since moving to Hong Kong Island, I got complacent. I usually inspect every bakery that I come across, but most of the time the pineapple buns looked and smelled so unappetizing that I wouldn't even try them. Either there wasn't enough of that delicious crusty top or the bread looked dry and cracker-like. Blech!

I have two bakeries near my flat that make passable pineapple buns whenever I have the craving, but they don't really do it for me. I've eaten buns at this bakery in North Point before, but I never noticed the pineapple buns until recently.


The egg tarts are actually quite nice, too. And only HKD11 for 4!

I had to stop taking pictures after this last one because the bakery lady was like, "Haven't you been here before? Why are you taking pictures?"

It was the colour of the pineapple bun crust caught my attention. The saturated yellow-orange means that it's rich in butter (or whatever heavenly ingredient they add in the crust), so I was curious enough to try one.


And you know, dudes, it was fucking AMAZING. The bread itself was softer than a unicorn baby's coo, and the crust! My God, the crust! Lots of it, perfectly crunchy, and it was baked onto the bread so well that it barely fell apart as I ate it.

There's another bun under the one I bit into, that's why it looks so weird.

These are so good that even Chabi, who normally doesn't beg for people food, climbed up to the table and demanded that I share with her. She even gave me a pimp slap when I was too slow breaking up the bun.

Chabi: Thank me for smacking you, betch!


Chabi and I could eat a dozen of these for breakfast, I shit you not.

Definitely on par with Kowloon City bakeries, if not even better! 雅園餅店 or Nga Yuen Cake Shop is at 54C Tanner Road, just behind Island Place. Their phone number (although the ladies who work there don't seem to be the type to answer the phone) is 2562 0878.

They open at 6 in the morning and close quite late, about 9, but I don't know if there will be any fresh pineapple buns that late. Each pineapple bun only costs HKD3.