Retrostone

Oh Retrostone! I've been trying to avoid you because I know I'll end up buying all kinds of shit. I'd just ended a kind of discouraging work day, I'd had wine coolers and painkillers, and one of the girls working there is so pretty, and she's Taiwanese so she chatted with me in Mandarin, and she had the cutest braces smile...ah! I was a goner. She triggered the 40% of me that's gay, which apparently is connected to the percent of me that does impulse spending. Oh well.

There are 3 Retrostone shops: 2 in Causeway Bay and 1 in Mong Kok. I've put their addresses and phone numbers at the bottom of this entry. Retrostone is open from 2 to 1030 daily. This is one of their shops in Causeway Bay. It's in the same building as Island Wake, so you enter through the door with the arrow sign above it on the bottom right of the picture.


On the way up.

It's a pretty typical vintage shop, although I should note that there are a lot of non-vintage items, as well. They're just kind of retro-looking, you know?

There's a huge amount of t-shirts and denim, as well as jackets. Unfortunately, vintage is not cheap in Hong Kong, and the shirts start at about HKD200. The jackets can go up to HKD1500. Dresses are in the HKD300 to HKD700 range.

I wish they hadn't hemmed this shirt into a belly shirt. Instead, they should have just taken in the sides to make it less boxy.

I ended up spending way too much. Tsk on me! But I've been looking for a red leather jacket for ages, and I couldn't let this one go. It was on sale for HKD790, and it seemed like a fair enough price. The jacket is in perfect condition, it's dead stock so it's never been worn, and the leather is really soft.

And really, anyone who's grown up in the 1980s has a secret desire to own a Michael Jackson red jacket.




It's too bad it's pretty much summer already because I fucking love this jacket.

Retrostone also carries band shirts from Amplified. You know, it's so hard to find good-fitting shirts that aren't boxy and made of cheap cotton. These were just lovely in terms of quality. My only beef is the limited selection of musicians. Rolling Stones? Overdone. Michael Jackson? Okay, acceptable but they didn't have Thriller or Off the Wall. Lady Gaga? I'm not wearing a shirt featuring someone younger than me. Blondie? Also acceptable, but they didn't have my size. Guns N' Roses? Well...I did like their music a lot when I was a kid, but I just can't wear a shirt from a band that doesn't have Slash and only has Asshole Rose now. And I don't do ironic fashion.

David Bowie was the most respectable choice, not just for his music and style, but, of course, for Labyrinth, which I think is how most kids my generation know about him. The power of voodoo! (Who do? You do!)

Yes, I'm a dork.

Also, back in university, I was on the honour roll (unbelievable, I know) and there was this annual ceremony where you would get your certificate. It was really pompous and all my fellow nerds took that shit way too seriously, dressing up in formal wear. I mean, really?? I thought it would be hilarious to go as Bowie during his Thin White Duke phase. I wore a vintage all-white suit and bleached my hair (which was short and probably blue at the time) white blonde. My professors loved it, one of them gave me a thumbs up during the ceremony. My fellow nerds didn't really like it, though.


I also liked this shirt because you wear it inside out. Love it! T-shirt was on sale for HKD189, and I think I might have gotten a further discount, not sure why. I'm contemplating burning holes in the shirt to age it further, but I haven't decided yet.

I also ended up buying this Bowie t-shirt dress, also by Amplified. I think it was around HKD300, not sure because of the sale. It's basically a giant wifebeater. Very comfortable, I'll probably be wearing this a lot during summer. I also just realized that there's a mouth on my crotch.

Haha, I love Chabi's expression.

I guess the clothes were worth it. Perhaps I shouldn't have stepped foot in Retrostone in the first place, but I decided recently that since I'm usually so gross and sweaty during summer, I should just dress according to the theme of post-apocalyptic fashion, and I thought I'd stock up on a couple of items. Since last week, I've been slowly looking more and more disheveled, which has really startled a lot of people. People keep asking me if I'm feeling okay, and I keep saying, "Do you know how much hairspray I used to make my hair look like this?"

Anyway, this was such a rambling entry. Sorry. Retrostone can be found at the following places:
1/F, 504 Lockhart Road, Causeway Bay, telephone: 2838 6419
2/F, 1 Cannon Road, Causeway Bay, telephone: 3107 9131
Basement Trendy Zone, B28, Mong Kok, telephone: 852 2152 9697

I managed to get a VIP card, which entitles me to 10% to 20% off. If I know you, I'll let you know how to use my VIP status.